This week on FASHION Magazine Beauty Panel, we were asked how to transition our hair and makeup from day to night, and here’s how I answered.
Behold, my magical changing face. Is that the same person up there?
Find out how I go from a polished daytime look to a sultry evening look using some of my favourite products. I am really in love with Clinique Clinique Chubby Stick Shadow Tints for Eyes, shown here in Lavish Lilac). I have been wearing them as a sheer wash all over the lids and they last all day without a primer. Maybelline Colour Whisper Lipsticks are new from the brand, and this shade, Pin Up Peach, creates beautiful, juicy lips and brightens my complexion. Love love love. Check out previous reviews of some products I used:
TGIF! Are you planning on transitioning your day makeup to night today? How do you switch up your look for a night out?
Maybe Mother Nature was listening to my cries of beauty blogger burnout, but she gave us a snow day in Toronto today! That means I have a tutorial for you!
I don’t know who Shu Qi is. Okay… was just told that she’s a Taiwanese actress who started out as a Playboy model. There’s your trivia for the day. The other thing I know is that wow, she’s stunning.
Photographed by Chen Man
I’ll give you a second to pick yourself up off the floor.
I am crazy — absolutely bananas – over this smokey eye. I thought it would be a great look to recreate with the Urban Decay Smoked Palette and Laura Mercier Artist’s Palette.
Get the Look
- Start with a matte ivory base (Urban Decay Kinky) all over the eye lid up to the brow bone.
- Place a matte medium brown (Laura Mercier Cafe au Lait) all over the lid.
- Start sketching out the smokey eye shape with a deep bronze (Urban Decay Barlust). Place on the inner crease and outer crease and pull out towards the temples.
- Blend that out like your life depends on it.
- Deepen the inner crease with a matte dark brown (Urban Decay Backdoor). Also place the same colour along the inner and outer thirds of the lower lash line.
- Brighten the lid and middle of the lower lash line with a shimmery light taupe (L’Oreal Tender Caramel).
- With a pencil brush, darken the outer and inner crease with a matte black (Urban Decay Blackout). Also take this on the outer corner of the lower lash line.
- Blend that out like your life depends on it. Seeing a pattern here?
- Highlight under the brows with a shimmery champagne (Laura Mercier Sunlit).
- Line the waterlines and smudge a black pencil (Urban Decay Perversion) on the top lash line. Add mascara and the eyes are done!
- Fake fuller lips by outlining with a nude brown lip pencil (MAC Oak).
- Fill in the lips with a sheer nude lipstick (Giorgio Armani Rouge d’Armani Sheer 100 – part of Spring 2013 collection).
Keep reading to see the tutorial and more pictures!
Click here to see more pictures!
New Lipstick Bandits assignment: pink or red for Valentine’s Day.
We never think of Valentine’s Day as a big deal in our household, but this is the kind of makeup I’d wear on date night. This makeup is for the guys. Well at least I can talk about what Mr. Geeks considers as sexy makeup. It’s makeup that is “Boy Hot” rather than “Girl Hot” (terms coined by Beauty Editor here). The lips are a soft pink: MAC Lipstick in Lovelorn ($18 CDN / $15 US).
MAC Lipstick in Lovelorn — swatch
Lovelorn is a soft blue pink lipstick with a bit of a sheen. It is neither goopy-looking, nor is it a loud (or clownish, as Mr. Geeks would say) colour. I paired it with a shimmery smokey eye, worn here in a cat eye shape that’s perfect for this cat lady.
Get the Look
For the eyes, start with a shimmery warm brown all over the lid, crease and lower lid (Clinique Chubby Stick for Eyes in 03 Fuller Fudge). Pat on a shimmery light taupe (L’Oreal Infallible Eyeshadow in Tender Caramel) on the lid. Blend a mid-tone matte brown (Laura Mercier Cafe au Lait). Create the winged shape with a darker brown (Laura Mercier Coffee Ground) on the outer corner and lower lash line, and deepen it further with a blackened brown (Laura Mercier Rich Coffee).
Line the top and bottom waterlines with a waterproof black pencil (Urban Decay 24/7 Pencil in Perversion). Finish with a volumizing mascara (Benefit They’re Real mascara).
For the cheeks, go over with a dusting of a light reflecting bronzer (Guerlain Terracotta Light Bronzer in 03 Brunettes).
For the lips, outline the lips with a nude brown lip pencil (MAC Oak lip liner). Fill in with a pink lipstick (MAC Lovelorn Lipstick).
Keep reading to see more pictures!
Click here to see more!