Editor’s Note: I’ve updated this post with new side-by-side comparison pictures instead of the usual bare lashes / 1 coat / 2 coats, because I can’t photograph it fast enough before it starts drying up after 1 coat. Grr!
MAC Studio Fix Lash ($16.50) is one of MAC’s newest mascaras. When I first got this mascara, I felt that it was nothing to write home about. After sticking with it for several weeks, I found that I liked it more and more. To find out why, then read on!
If You Want These in a Mascara, You’re in Luck.
- Super Lengthening. The best thing about this mascara is how well it lengthened my lashes. The first week I wore it, I received this comment from BF: “Are you wearing mascara? Your lashes look really long. I thought you were wearing fake lashes.” My BF is so clueless about makeup, but every now and then he pulls out a gem like that and I kinda wish it happens all. the. time. But I digress.
- Perfect Definition. Besides the length, the wand separates and defines lashes very well, so rarely does the mascara ever clump. But work quickly if you like multiple layers.
- No crunchy lashes. I hate crunchy lashes and I’m happy to report that this keeps mine soft.
- Excellent staying power. This non-waterproof mascara keeps working its magic through a sweaty hour long cardio kickbox class. And I am one sweaty girl! 😛 No smudges, no flakes.
- Easy to remove. This part baffles the heck out of me because the mascara stays on forever. This is the only mascara that washes off completely when I use my Purity Made Simple.
- Pigment. It’s black! It’s shiny! It’s beautiful!
I’m Sad to Speak of Its Shortcomings.
- Where’s the Curl? Curling mascaras are huge in my books, and unfortunately this isn’t one. It uncurls my lashes a little, and that’s the main reason why I didn’t like it initially. I found that I’d I curled my lashes up to my brow — LOL ‘kay, more like ’til they touch my lids — the resulting curl is almost acceptable.
- Too Natural Volume. Studio Fix Lash doesn’t deliver a false lash like volume. What can I say, I really like a lot of volume. This gives a work week appropriate volume.
- Hmm… Something Smells Funny. As this was my first MAC mascara I don’t know if all their mascaras smell like this. But it does have an apparent synthetic smell and I don’t like it. By the way, who else here sniffs their tube of mascara? 😉
Side by side picture to show the length! (Bare vs. 2 coats)
(click to enlarge)
This one shows that because of the small uncurling of the lashes, it doesn’t look that long when you’re looking straight on. (Bare vs. 2 coats)
(click to enlarge)
The Low Down
All in all, I have to say that I like this mascara because of the length and separation it delivers. I find myself reaching for this when I’m going to work. If you have naturally curled and voluminous lashes (I hate you!) then you’ll probably strike gold with this one. I haven’t tried so myself, but if you really want a false lash effect I think this would be excellent layered over a volumizing mascara. Rating: B+.