I’m all in favour for quick beauty solutions, especially in the summer. As much as I enjoy the process of getting ready in the morning, I either:
- rarely have time to play with makeup for an hour, or
- get the case of the lazy. You know how it goes.
On weekday mornings, things need to move especially quickly, after hitting the snooze button 8 times. I bang out my sheer foundation, concealer, powder, brows, and mascara in about 5 minutes. But some days call for a little bit more colour than usual. Don’t worry, this won’t take long, and it’s easy peasy lemon squeezy.
NARS International Lead Makeup Stylist Jane Richardson was in Toronto last month to showcase the new NARS Adult Swim Collection for Summer 2014. I love Jane’s makeup philosophies, and it’s clear that they mirror those of François Nars’, which in a nutshell is not to take makeup seriously. Wear what makes you happy.
Jane is a fountain of makeup tips and tricks, many of which she shared with us that day. Here are just a few:
- Play with makeup at least 5 minutes every night. Be your own makeup artist. Learn your face and experiment with products and looks, then wash them off.
- You don’t always have to wear lip gloss on top of lipstick. Wear lip gloss under a matte lipstick to create a satin finish.
- Don’t just wear makeup that suits you. (For example, I asked her for tips on how to wear my new favourite pastel lilac.) For eyeshadows, wear a new colour along your lower lash line for a modern and unexpected twist.
- You might not always need blush. Blush fiends shocked appalled! On days when you have a bit of redness on your cheeks, just go with it and tone it down with just a bit of foundation.
Taking some of Jane’s advice, I thought I’d revamp my 5-minute face with some colour. I have two new products from the NARS Adult Swim Summer 2014 Collection: NARS Lost Coast Duo Eyeshadow ($39, Limited Edition) and NARS Salamanca Lipgloss ($29).
Lost Coast is my top pick from the collection because it looks like an unusual pairing, but it is in fact super wearable. Described as a “golden pewter and lilac snow,” the duo straddles the line between warm and cool and is great for a no-eyeshadow eyeshadow look. When layering a wash of lilac over the pewter, the shades bring out the nuances in one another and makes a truly special combination.
Salamanca caught my eye because 1) the name reminds me of Tio from Breaking Bad, and 2) I mean, look at that pink/coral shade! The new NARS lipglosses are only very slightly tacky and are semi-sheer. Salamanca is one of the brighter shades which give the lips just a kiss of colour!
This look is my inspiration for the products: glowing, blushing and effortless!
For the eyes, I used Lost Coast on the lids, and dusted bronzer along the crease for warmth and a little bit of depth. I also tight lined with black pencil eyeliner for more definition along the lash line. I patted on the lilac on the centre of the eyes and inner corners for highlight.
I popped on some lashes for good measure, but for everyday, this isn’t necessary. I wore ESQIDO mink lashes in Miss Dolly, which I thought were fitting for a cute, pastel look.
This isn’t a look that I am used to wearing, and I think that’s the point NARS is trying to make. I love how it turned out. It is fresh, and the lilac is an unexpected inner corner highlight that just. works. Mission accomplished.
NARS Adult Swim Collection is available at select NARS retailers (including Sephora, Hudson’s Bay, Holt Renfrew and Murale) and narscosmetics.com.