If you follow me on Twitter or Instagram, I may appear to be always happy, but this long winter has been pretty tough on me. When February hits every year, I find it difficult to wake up in the morning, I tend to overeat, and my energy levels plummet to the ground. Because how we feel inside is just as important as how we look in order to feel beautiful, I think it’s crucial to talk about how to overcome the winter blues to see us through to the end of winter in one piece. 🙂
These are two aromatherapy products that have been helping me through this tough season. Lotus Wei Quiet Mind Energy Mist ($41.50) is perfect when I’m struggling to sleep because of so much brain chatter. I spray it on my sheets before getting into bed and it really affects my state of mind before falling to sleep. It contains a blend of essential oils (geranium, lemon, coriander) and flower essences (bird of paradise, passionflower, datura, dandelion, lotus).
The other product I’ve been loving even boasts therapy in its name: La Bella Figura Travel Therapy Botanical Mood Booster ($55). This roll-on mood booster can be used as a perfume oil on pulse points. Or for immediate tension relief, apply onto fingertips and blend into palms of hands, then cup over nose while taking deep breaths. This is perfect for taking on crowded trains (TTC commuters, can you hear me?) for a little peace of mind. When I first took a whiff of Travel Therapy, it was after a long work day and my stress just melted away instantly. Aromatherapy is such a powerful thing. The key ingredient is organic Blue Tansy (yes, it’s actually blue!), which helps you relax in overwhelming situations.
I asked Clementine Fields co-founder Ingrid Rae Doucet to talk about ways to cope with SAD.
It’s difficult to break out of a rut when you’re feeling the winter blues. What activities do you recommend for those who want to beat winter depression?
- Go to a sauna at your local gym or spa. Sitting in the heat feels so wonderful and it’s fabulous for your skin — very detoxifying.
- Take the time to unplug and enjoy time with family and friends. Leave your cellphone at home and go out for dinner or see a movie. I also find it helps to talk about feeling down or anxious as so many people are feeling the same way.
- Do something you don’t usually do. Go to the opera, ballet or go see some music. Art can put you in the moment which can help you to be grateful for the beauty in life.
What products help elevate your mood when you most need it?
- May Lindstrom The Good Stuff ($112). I love this body oil; it’s so decadent and exotic. It also gives your skin a golden sheen so it kind of tricks your brain into thinking you’ve been hanging out at the beach all day!
- Roots Rose Radish Jasmine and Clary Sage Solid Perfume ($55). I love the scent of the solid perfume and the clamshell is just so beautiful. It just makes me happy and reminds me of the ocean.
- Tata Harper Aromatic Bedtime Treatment ($62). I can dwell on things while trying to sleep. I love this treatment for being able to naturally help me catch up on my sleep.
So excited to partner with Clementine Fields to bring you this giveaway so that you can also beat this sad winter feeling. 🙂 Brighter, longer days ahead! Enter using the Rafflecopter form below and don’t forget to comment. Good luck!