So you’re going to hit the red carpet or another special event and you need to look smoking hot? One way to make an impact with makeup is the all-around popular smokey eyes. This is the look that I wore with the L’Oréal Collection Privée by Colour Riche lipsticks, and I loved the makeup so much that I’m going to tell you how I got this look. In this post I am wearing L’Oréal Collection Privée by Colour Riche lipstick in J Lo’s Nude.
Get the Look
The focus of this look are the elongated smokey eyes, so buckle down for the eleventy million steps to follow. They’ll all be worth it in the end, I promise. It takes a lot of layering; it’s gold, beige, grey, blue, brown all seamlessly blending into one another. I mostly used my Laura Mercier Artist’s Palette again. It’s still my favourite palette to this day for both basic and dramatic looks.
- Start by defining the brows. Apply a waterproof brow product (MAKE UP FOR EVER Aqua Brow in #40) on sparse areas. Apply a tinted brow gel (Benefit Cosmetics Gimme Brow in Medium/Deep) to groom the brows into place.
- After primer, apply a shimmery golden beige cream shadow (Benefit Creaseless Cream Shadow in Birthday Suit) all over the lid and crease.
- Apply a mix of shimmery pink dove grey eyeshadow (Laura Mercier Eyeshadow in Sable + Guava) all over the lid.
- Take a matte navy eyeshadow (Laura Mercier Eyeshadow in Deep Night) with a flat shader brush and smudge along the outer half of the upper lash line, extending outwards toward the “tail” of the brows.
- With a clean blending brush, blend the navy up and above the crease.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 until you get the desired depth.
- With a pencil brush, smudge a matte deep charcoal grey (Laura Mercier Eyeshadow in Rich Coffee) just at the outer corner and blend with the navy. This adds more depth but doesn’t cover up the navy completely.
- Apply a matte medium camel brown (Laura Mercier Eyeshadow in Cafe au Lait) above the navy as a transition shade.
- Highlight the brow bone with a matte vanilla (Laura Mercier Eyeshadow in Vanilla Nuts).
- Brighten the inner half of the lid with a shimmery oyster pink cream eyeshadow (Benefit Creaseless Cream Shadow in Bikini-tini).
- On the lower lashes, smudge a matte chocolate brown (Laura Mercier Eyeshadow in Coffee Ground).
- Deepen the outer lower lash line with a matte deep charcoal grey (Laura Mercier Eyeshadow in Rich Coffee).
- Take a Q-tip dipped in micellar water makeup remover (Bioderma Sensibio) and clean up under the eyes. Then, follow the angle of the lower lashes to shape the eyeshadow on the upper eyelids.
- Blend out the harsh lines lightly with a clean blending brush.
- Line the top lash line with a black liquid liner (L’Oréal Infallible The Super Slim 12H Liquid Eyeliner) and flick out slightly.
- Line the top and bottom lash lines with a waterproof black eyeliner (YSL Dessin du Regard Eye Pencil).
- Apply mascara (Revlon Lash Potion) and false lashes (Ardell Lashes in 110).
On the skin, apply foundation and concealer (my current favourites mentioned here). Then I apply an illuminating primer (Laura Mercier Primer in Radiance) down the centre of my face. I apply this on the centre of my forehead, down the nose, cheeks and chin. Then I powder with a luminous finishing powder (Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in Dim Light) all over for a matte but radiant complexion.
I contoured my face (Chanel Sculpting Veil in Notorious) along my temples and hollows of the cheeks, as well as a little bit on the sides of my nose. My blush is a pearly pink coral (MAC Blush in Supercontinental) that’s not overly shimmery. The cheeks have that healthy glow from within, like an angel’s face. For all you Victoria’s Secret Angels, of course.
Go forth and be fabulous on that red carpet! Work it, girl! Let me know if you try this look. I’d love to see it on you.
Shop the Look
Benefit Cosmetics Stay Flawless 15-Hour Primer ($38, Sephora)
L’Oréal Magic Nude Liquid Powder Foundation in 328 Sun Beige ($12.99, ULTA)
IT Cosmetics Bye Bye Under Eye in Tan ($29 with a brush, ULTA)
Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in Dim Light ($52, Sephora)
Laura Mercier Primer in Radiance ($24-$55, Sephora)
MAC Blush in Supercontinental (Limited Edition, unavailable for purchase)
Chanel Sculpting Veil in Notorious (Limited Edition, unavailable for purchase)
MAKE UP FOR EVER Aqua Brow in #40 ($24, Sephora)
Benefit Gimme Brow in Medium/Deep ($26, Sephora)
Benefit Creaseless Cream Shadows in Birthday Suit and Bikini-tini ($24, Sephora)
Laura Mercier Eyeshadows in Sable, Guava, Vanilla Nuts, Cafe au Lait, Coffee Ground, Deep Night, Rich Coffee (similar palettes at Sephora here and here)
L’Oréal Infallible The Super Slim 12H Liquid Eyeliner ($8.99, ULTA)
YSL Dessin du Regard Eye Pencil in Black ($31, YSL)
Revlon Lash Potion Mascara ($7.99, ULTA)
Ardell Lashes in 110 ($4.99 twin pack, ULTA)