Some things I get really excited about:
- The return of The Walking Dead. This Sunday. Really, I might crap my pants!
- Dessert. If there’s chocolate-anything on the menu (lava cake is preferred), I’m getting it 99.99% of the time.
- Playing ninja cat with Scherbie.
- Finding really great matte eyeshadows.
After diving into the world of makeup artistry (mostly bridal) this year, I quickly learned how essential good matte eyeshadows are in my kit. It’s pretty easy to find lovely formulas for pearly and shimmery eyeshadows. Mattes, on the other hand, mostly end up chalky or too dry and sheer.
Mary Kay Mineral Eye Colour Packaging
When I got the chance to try several matte shades of Mary Kay Mineral Eye Colours ($7.50), I jumped on the opportunity right away. These eyeshadows are mineral-based and are supposed to be great for fighting oily eyelids. The individual pans are magnetic and stick well to my Z-palette. Also, the rectangular shape (as opposed to a round one) means that I can fit more of them in there.
- White Lily is off-white.
- Sweet Cream is a light beige.
- Golden Vanilla is a light yellow brown.
- Silky Caramel is a mid-tone warm brown.
- Hazelnut is a mid-tone chocolate brown.
- Lavender Fog is lavender.
- Sienna is a mid-tone reddish brown.
- Cinnabar is a dark chocolate brown.
- Espresso is surprisingly not brown, but a deep blue purple.
- Coal is a deep grey. This one was supposed to be a black, but it swatches lighter and is the chalkiest of the bunch.
Top row: White Lily, Sweet Cream, Golden Vanilla, Silky Caramel, Hazelnut
Bottom row: Lavender Fog, Sienna, Cinnabar, Espresso, Coal
I will tell you this now: OMG I’m in love. These eyeshadows are so pigmented that I like them more than my MAC matte eyeshadows. Let’s compare, shall we? I get 1.5g for $14.50 = $9.67 per gram at MAC; 1.4g for $7.50 = $5.35 per gram (Mary Kay). It costs almost half as much, and the high quality is something I would liken to shu uemura’s matte eyeshadows.
Mary Kay vs. MAC Eyeshadow (size difference)
White Lily, Sweet Cream, Golden Vanilla, Silky Caramel, Hazelnut
Lavender Fog, Sienna, Cinnabar, Espresso, Coal
Besides these, there are two other shades in the matte lineup: Almond and Iris. I’ll likely make these two mine — all mine — as well.
Mary Kay Mineral Eye Colours – Matte
I’m really pleased with these eyeshadows that I am definitely including these in my professional kit. I think these are perfect for wedding makeup. Do you have a favourite matte eyeshadow, or do you prefer to work with pearly/shimmery formulas?