Creating a smoky eye doesn’t need to have a million steps to achieve a nicely blended, polished look. Today I raised a challenge on Twitter.
THE CHALLENGE: You have to create a smoky eye. You’re allowed to use one eyeshadow colour for lid/crease and one for highlight. No coloured bases. Eyeliner is extra. What would you use?
- @BNBMakeupArt: MAC Satin Taupe
- @macbella2: Dark Horse from the UD Naked palette or KvD Ace of Spade e/s, and MARK whisper e/s for brow highlight (its matte and perfect!) LOL
- @ettuandyou: Buxom Samantha’s Smoky Eye Kit
- @polishfiend: MAC Smoke ‘n Diamonds
- @rachlyon: MACs ‘Vanilla’ pigment as highlighter and ‘Club’ eyeshadow for lid/crease, no liner. Dreamy!
- @jillojello: hmm mac carbon…but really I would just smudge mac greasepaint stick in black to make it a nice smokey look without a shadow
- @HelenNiceThings: Ok. It’d have to be Illamasqua Matter. Whew – that was tough! With Nars Albatross as a highlighter. Best highlighter ever.
Great picks, eh? I picked something that’s been kicking around in my vanity that is totally untouched: Smink Mineral Eyeshadow in Nancy Oh! from the set I reviewed before.
Smink Mineral Eyeshadow in Nancy Oh!
Now before you cry out “boring brown”, wait ’til you see it swatched:
Smink Nancy Oh! Swatches Dry / Wet
Nancy Oh! is a beautiful duochrome with a plummy brown base, and turns aqua depending on the light. It appears more aqua when swatched wet. So, do you think you’re ready (for this jelly LOL!)? Here’s how I achieve my smoky eye look.
Get the Look
For the eyes, roughly line the top lashes with a creamy black pencil (Annabelle Smudgeliner in Ohmygoth!) and smudge along the lash line. Pat on your plum/aqua eyeshadow (Smink Eyeshadow in Nancy Oh!) all over the lid and just past the crease. Blend out the edges. Using the same eyeshadow, wet your brush with a mixing medium or fixing spray (MAC Fix+ Rose), and pat on the middle of the lid only. Take the same wet brush and smudge along the lower lash line. Highlight under the brow and inner corners with a shimmery light beige (MAC Eyeshadow in All That Glitters). Finish off by lining your waterline and mascara (MAC Studio Fix Lash Mascara).
For the cheeks, apply bronzer (Annabelle Zebra Bronzer in Haute Gold) down the sides of the face and temples. Then apply a natural finish rose blush (Chanel Joues Contraste Blush in Rose Temptation) on the apples of your cheeks.
For the lips, apply a glossy pink lipstick (Chanel Rouge Allure Laque in Ming).
What’s are Your Eyeshadow Picks for a Simple Smoky Eye?
Let’s inspire each other. Leave your picks in the comments.